With six months to count down until our 2021 event, it is time for Badminton Horse Trials fans to get creative and work up designs for a ‘Science Supplements inspired’ cross country fence on next year’s cross country course.
The winning fence design will complete the course which is designed by internationally renowned Course Designer Eric Winter and will be jumped by some of the world’s best horses and riders in the Main Arena.
Entries are now open and will close on the 10th December. Once all eligible designs are in, our judging panel will shortlist a top 10 which will go forward for the public vote on via the Badminton website between the 21 December 2020 and 6th January 2021.
The person who submitted the photo receiving the most votes on the Badminton website by midnight Wednesday 6th January 2021 is deemed to be the winner of the competition overall and will receive the prize package.
To take part in the competition, individuals are asked to create their design based on the below specifications:
- Height: The fixed wood height should be no more than 115 cm high.
- Decoration: There should be either flowers or brush on the top of the fence.
- Dimensions: The whole fence should be 3-4 metres wide excluding any ‘wings’ but the part that the horses jump could if desired be as little as 115 cm wide. The fence should have either a rounded or sloping front side.
- Position: The fence should be at least a bit higher at the sides than it is in the middle (think of a smile shape) since it is the last fence on the course and will be heavily photographed. Bear in mind that most professional photographs are taken from the landing side of the fence, but the fence needs to look good from 360 degrees.
- Design influence: The fence should be inspired by the branding and/or products of Science Supplements. Badminton Horse Trials reserves the right to amend the winning design if necessary, to take account of Science Supplements’ branding guidelines &/or constraints required by broadcast partners.
Meet the Design a Fence Judges
- Jane Tuckwell – Badminton Horse Trials Event Director
- Eric Winter – Badminton Horse Trials Cross Country Course Designer
- James Willis – Badminton Horse Trials Course Builder
- David Mitson – from Badminton official partner, Science Supplements
Hear from Eric Winter:
Prize Package for Best Design Winner
After the public voting round, the person who submitted the winning design will receive:
- The chance to view their fence once it has physically been made at Badminton ahead of the 2021 Badminton Horse Trials with course designer Eric Winter (pending Covid-19 restrictions at the time).
- A pair of admission tickets + one car pass for the cross country phase of Badminton Horse Trials in May 2022.
- A free livestream subscription to watch the 2021 ‘behind closed doors’ Badminton Horse Trials.
Submitting your design is easy – visit our competition entry page to upload your design and fill out the form. You may submit up to a maximum of five files, in either jpg, gif, png, pdf, docx, or doc. format up to 5MB each.